Research interests and brief summaries of ongoing projects. Also see the list of previous thesis studies (ID and password required).
Expansion of genomic information has enabled us to illustrate the evolutionary history of many genes and organisms. We combine experimental and computational approaches to figure out evolutionary events. The new nomenclature of HSP70 we proposed has been listed in many databases.
Biology used to be a field to describe the natural wonders of the world with a reverence for the diversity. I still like the concept. We report morphological characteristics of animals in Southeast Asia using histological approaches.
- Senarat et al. (2022) An update on the evolutionary origin of aglomerular kidney with structural and ultrastructural descriptions of the kidney in three fish species. J Fish Biol 100 1283-1298.
- Puttipong et al. (2020) Evaluation of health status in the striped catfish Pangasianodon hypophthalmus Sauvage, 1878 from Khlong Saen Saep, Thailand: The use of integrated biomarkers. Hum Ecol Risk Assess 24, 938-953.
Calorie restriction & maternal effect
Maternal calorie restriction (CR) is known to increase offspring's lifespan in an emerging invertebrate model called rotifers. We are investigating the composition of eggs from calorie-restricted and fed mothers to clarify the mechanism underlying the maternal CR effect.
We also study stress proteins, cell cycle regulators, autophagy, and population dynamics of monogonont rotifers.
- Grewal et al. (2023) A genome-wide screening of the 70 kDa heat shock protein (HSP70) genes in the rotifer Brachionus plicatilis sensu stricto with a characterization of two heat-inducible HSP70 genes. Cell Stress Chaperones, in press.
- Kaneko et al. (2011) Calorie restriction-induced maternal longevity is transmitted to their daughters in a rotifer. Funct Ecol 25, 209-216. News in Economist.
Horizontal gene transfer
Massive horizontal transferred genes have been identified in bdelloid rotifers. Our EST screening found that a bdelloid rotifer Adineta vaga has a set of horizontally transferred genes involved in amino acid biosynthesis.
We will analyze the function of the unique metabolic pathway by combining molecular approached and the NMR-based metabolite-tracing technology pioneered at Yale.
- Kaneko et al. (2018) Valine synthesis in a bdelloid rotifer: Application of a novel metabolic flux measurement technology to study unique metabolic pathways. XV International Rotifer Symposium, June 3-9, El Paso, TX, USA.
- Kaneko et al. (2017) Hypofrontality and posterior hyperactivity in early schizophrenia: imaging and behavior in a preclinical model. Biol Psychiatry 81, 503-513. Yale News.
Energy metabolism & food science
Although vertebrates share many basic biochemical pathways such as glycolysis and TCA cycle, their detailed metabolic features are diverse especially when illustrating dynamic processes. For example, fish generally prefers amino acids and lipids over carbohydrate as energy source. Nitrogen waste products can be either ammonia, urea, or uric acid depending on species and environment.
We investigate the metabolic diversity in various animals. Recent keywords are fish, lipid distribution, oxidative stress etc. Understanding fish metabolism also contribute to food science and aquaculture.
- Yu et al. (2020) Proteomic and metabolomic basis for improved textural quality in crisp grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idellus C.et V) fed with a natural dietary pro-oxidant. Food Chem 325, 126906.
- Chen et al. (2020) Quantitative phosphoproteomic analysis of soft and firm grass carp muscle. Food Chem 303, 125367.
Fish consumption in Texas
Texas is a meat-loving state. Although the USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends eating "about 8 ounces per week of a variety of seafood," our preliminary survey indicated that most Texans eat less seafood.
We are trying to promote local fish consumption by providing nutritional and safety information of seafood, such as omega-3 fatty acid content and methylmercury levels. DNA-based species determination is one of our routine works to ensure that local fish products are correctly labeled.
- To be updated soon, hopefully.